Finishing…

Finishing…

One of my goals for the weekend was to finish a project that had been taking up residence on the floor loom for WAY too long! The last day I worked on it was November 11 – eesh! It was well past time to wrap that puppy up!

But you know how hard it is to pick up and complete a project you’ve avoided for weeks! At this point, I’m totally out of sync and any sense of momentum I had dissolved around Thanksgiving! Not to mention that I just don’t remember the details floating around in my head when I was consistently chipping away at it. I always think I’ll remember and I won’t have to write it down – silly, silly girl! My memory is crap! Always write it down! (That should probably be tattooed somewhere prominent on my arm.)

I cleared off the weaving bench (about 10 minutes), sat there trying to cipher my project (another 10 minutes), and finally decided how I was going to proceed (about time!). From there, I just pushed forward and hoped I was close enough! Because the goal is to end up with a series of hand towels, I should be okay. Each towel is meant to be a cousin, not a twin. So it isn’t important they match – thank goodness!

About four hours after I sat down, I threw the last shuttle, cut the fabric off the loom, tied the ends, and unrolled it from the Schacht. I still have ends to tuck in and a trip through the washer/dryer ahead of me. But having an empty loom is a great feeling!

What project is waiting for you to finish?

Song of the Day – Barenaked Ladies, “Odd Are”

By |2018-01-17T09:18:45+00:00January 8th, 2018|From the studio, Weaving, Weaving Fabric|11 Comments

About the Author:

Chris Acton is the President, Chief Weaver, and Jack-of-all-Trades for Acton Creative, based in NW Indiana. When she isn't weaving away, you can find her absorbed in a book while slurping gallons of hot tea.

11 Comments

1. Sherron Pampalone January 8, 2018 at 7:26 pm - Reply

I made a bad decision with a scarf kit for my 8 harness loom. I have to continually change the tie ups for plain weave/twill/heart pattern/back to plain weave/then skeleton pattern. Then more plain weave and reverse it all. WHAT i was thinking I have NO IDEA!!

• Seth Spencer January 8, 2018 at 7:30 pm - Reply

It’s so frustrating, isn’t it? Hang in there, my friend!!

• Seth Spencer January 11, 2018 at 9:42 am - Reply

Oh man! I find that crawling under the loom to keep changing tie ups is absolutely no fun! Hang in there, my friend!

2. KerryCan January 9, 2018 at 6:36 am - Reply

How wonderful to be finished! And the length of fabric looks impressive and pretty. For me, it’s the 10-mile long warp for coasters that is getting me down . . .

• Seth Spencer January 11, 2018 at 9:40 am - Reply

Thanks so much, Kerry! I can totally relate on the never ending project! How far into it are you?

• KerryCan January 13, 2018 at 5:31 am - Reply

Well, my husband wound the warp . . . and can’t remember how long it is! I’ve done 10 coasters and probably have 20 more to go. I do a couple a day but I may have to focus more on this project, if I ever want that loom free!

• Seth Spencer January 13, 2018 at 4:44 pm - Reply

Ooh! 20 more to go? It may be time to bring in the weaving minions to help you! Will you post a photo when you’re finished? I would love to see them!

• KerryCan January 14, 2018 at 5:14 am

I haven’t done a post about actual products of weaving in quite awhile. I’ll try and remember to show off my coasters!

• Seth Spencer January 14, 2018 at 10:10 am

Yes please!!

3. LivingMyPortion January 11, 2018 at 8:23 am - Reply

Your work is beautiful!!! Love the hand towels

• Seth Spencer January 11, 2018 at 9:14 am - Reply

Thank you so much! I appreciate it!!