Every so often I think we all just need a good Top 10 list – don’t you agree? With Thanksgiving barreling down on us quickly, that is definitely the topic du jour. And instead of doing a things-I-am-thankful-for list (WAY too long), I’m doing a things-I-am-thankful-for-about-Thanksgiving list! Here goes –
Top 10 Thanksgiving Things I Am Thankful For!
- Everyone who sits down at the table. Family, friends, strangers – they are all equal when they sit down for Thanksgiving dinner.
- Dad’s sausage/apple dressing. Oh man! I know you THINK you have the best dressing around, but sadly, you are mistaken. Kurt Acton wins!
- Using the good china. We pull out the good stuff maybe 2-3 times a year, and those times are always special occasions. Even if it means washing more things by hand, it instantly clicks in my head that this meal is something to remember.
- Green Bean Casserole. Come on!!! I think part of the magic is simply that folks don’t make this dish any other time of year. And don’t even try to chef it up! You have to dump in the cans of Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom soup and add the fried onions to the top – it’s a requirement! So delicious!! (And so Midwest, I might add!)
- The little ones. We don’t always have tiny people at the Thanksgiving table because of scheduling. But when we do, the whole day is better! This Thanksgiving, we’ll have a (6) and a (4) year old with us and seeing the day through their eyes simply makes it all the more sparkly!
- Post-Thanksgiving naps. Thanksgiving is about the only day where people are expected to crash after a meal. We typically do the meal early-mid afternoon, leaving plenty of time to lay all over each other like puppies and doze while watching a football game only a few people in the room care about.
- Thanksgiving Thursday. I love that Thanksgiving is mid-week! The fact that the holiday will always be smack dab in the middle of the work week makes it all the more unique!
- Hugs. It’s a well known fact that I’m a hugger and come from a family of huggers. There’s no better day for soaking up all the warm squeezes than Thanksgiving!
- Turkey legs. I’m a dark meat girl, through and through. And there’s something primal and fun about picking up an entire turkey leg and going to town! There’s nothing remotely elegant about the process. But because everyone else is focused on plowing through their plates, I don’t even give it a second thought! Yum!!
- Thinking over the year and counting my blessings. There are very few days earmarked just for being thankful. Even if it is only one day to focus on all the positive elements in my life, that’s pretty damn important!
And there you have it! My Top 10 Thankful Thanksgiving List! What are you thankful for this Thanksgiving?
p.s. I’m thankful for you, the readers, everyday! May your Thanksgiving be amazing and the spirit of the day carry you through the coming year!
That’s quite the comprehensive list! It helps me get in the mood–I do love Thanksgiving.
Thanks so much! It’s such a great holiday!!